Click to skip and go straight to the Weighted Decision Matrix.
The first thing to consider is obvious – what’s the decision you need to make! It could be something simple or more fundamental, it really doesn’t matter, the decision matrix will cope with either scenario. We like to use it for big family decisions such as where to go on holiday or what sort of car do we get next. You can all look at the screen, decide on the factors involved and then debate the scores and when you do that all angles are covered. Coming soon, you’ll be able to save the decision you reached and send it to your friends and family via email, Facebook or Twitter! So, what to do…
1. As above, choose the question to answer, double click on the “Type your question here” cell and type it in
2. Next you need to decide on the factors involved in the decision you are making. When considering the question think Who, When, Why, What and How to prompt you to think of everything you need to. Look at our example on the home page to get you started.
3. Now you need to weight the factors you settled on in 2. It’s easiest to do this by giving the most important factor a value of 5 and the least important a value of 1. It’s important to do this but if you really can’t decide on the order it is okay to give two factors a weighting that is the same. We don’t recommend it as you are less likely to get a clear result but hey, that’s up to you.
4. List all of your possible options on the options row next, any order you like.
5. The final step is to score all of your options out of 5 or 10 or even a hundred against all of the different factors. So option A may score a 5 for the first factor but only a 1 for the second but both could end up with the same weighted score depending on how you set up the weightings in step 3. Confused? Just have a go and it will all become clear.
We will be making a video to show all of this shortly so don’t forget to come back soon to check it out but if you get really stuck you can tweet us or ask a question on Facebook as well. Have fun!